Dentistry For Infants and Baby Teeth
The importance of Baby teeth
At Aurora Kids Dentistry our dentists are here to take care of your child’s baby teeth. Baby teeth are important to the future dental health of your child for the following reasons:
– Enable proper chewing
– Allow good pronunciation and speech habits
– Encourage normal development of the jaw bones and muscles
– Ensure there is enough room for permanent teeth to erupt
– Help your child feel comfortable about the way he/she looks
– The Baby teeth guide the permanent teeth to erupt into the correct position in the dental arch since the permanent teeth grow under the baby teeth.
Your child’s first Baby tooth
There is no accurate time for the eruption of your baby’s first tooth. Both premature and delayed eruption are hereditary.
Usually, the first baby tooth erupts around the age of 6 – 10 months. If your child has no teeth by the age of 18 months, then you should seek the advice of a padiatric dentist. Primary tooth eruption should be completed by the age of 3 years.
Symptoms such as fever, fatigue, diarrhea or increased salivation can be present during primary tooth eruption. The above symptoms are usually mild and last only for a few days.
If these symptoms persist and are very severe then the reason may not be due to the eruption of a tooth, but to another medical reason. In this case, you should consult your child’s medical doctor.
At the age of six, the four first permanent molars (6 – year molars) erupt along with the lower anterior incisors.
The 6 year molars erupt behind the last primary (baby) molars without replacing any of the primary teeth.
If you want more information on our dentistry for infants tots and teens please do not hesitate to contact us today.